Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I should have known better...

I wouldn't say I'm an expert at deployments seeing that its only our second. We have however seen our fair share of time apart, OBC, Ranger school, Airborne school, Korea, etc. But after Afghanistan I promised myself I wouldn't get my heart set on a "time frame" for when he was due home. Main reason for that is druing deployment #1 the time frame for him to come home changed like a zillion times. It got so bad we stopped talking about it. So when this deployment came I was optimistic that the 6 months wouldn't change much since he is in a different branch. Well, 6 months has now turned into 8 months...and we're hoping it will stop there. We have our fingers (and toes!!!) crossed that he'll make it in time for Christmas. And not really for me, but for him and the kids. He has missed so much with them already I hate for more memories to be missed. And yes, of course, I count my lucky stars that it is still a "short" deployment to a "not so bad place" but time away is still time away. This too shall pass and we will get through it and many more like it to come.

3 comments:

The Young's said...

Nikki, you are such a strong woman. What a wonderful role model for your children. I always thought I'd end up a millitary bride, and now know that God knew better. I would have been a mess if I were in your shoes. Hang in there and we will cont to pray for his safty and QUICK return!

Sue said...

Nikki,
It never ceases to amaze me - the strength and courage and just plain grit that young Army families need to endure separations of all kinds. You just do it. Of course as a mom, I miss them and it bugs me that Laurie and Stephen are seperated for long periods of time and that Kasey is with out his mommy or his daddy for such long stretches. I guess the key is that - when they are together - every moment counts.
I am sure many people must be in prayer for your family - count me amongst them. Now. we'll just wait for His answers.
Blessings, Nikki, to all of you.
Sue

Sue said...

Nikki,
I sure forgot the most important thing which must get you through every moment of the day.
Faith.

Sue